09 April 2007

Gramercy Park

For some months when my small child was tiny (like 4-8 months old), she came to work with me every day. I had a babysitter meet me in the office and take her for 4 hours. They'd putter around the Gramercy Park/Madison Park/Union Square area, shopping, eating, playgrounding - or they'd hang around the office, and check out the kids in their ballet classes. One day, the babysitter said she'd been to Gramercy Park - a nearby but private park. I said, "how did you get in"? She said, "oh, I just asked one of the doormen for a key". I was dumbfounded and awestruck. Such gall. She was a great nanny, that Norma.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Norma!

pinknest said...

wonderful!

Mayberry said...

That is excellent. Go Norma! When I first moved to NYC I stayed, for a week or so, at the Parkside Evangeline Residence on the Park--or as I always like to refer to it, "the home for wayward girls."

Anonymous said...

It seems like city babies get more fresh air and time in public than suburban babies.