12 May 2007

Gorey at the Ballet

My mother used to take us to the ballet a lot, and to the Nutcracker regularly. We were also great fans of Edward Gorey, who was a perennial audience member at the New York City Ballet for a long time. From time to time, he drew for them. This was ripped out of a Nutcracker program, taped together, and pinned to the bulletin board in my room for the longest time. It's almost impossible to see now, but he had been in the audience, and I'd gotten him to sign it. He crossed out his printed name, and signed above it, apparently in disappearing ink.

7 comments:

S. said...

Wonderful.

Did you know he and Frank O'Hara were roommates? It's disappointing to learn that they were just sort-of shoved together and didn't become fast friends.

niobe said...

How cool that you have that souvenir.

Liz Miller said...

It's still a bit visible. I'll bet a document restoration company could reverse the fading from light exposure.

S said...

I love that story, and the memento. I used to go to the NYC ballet with my grandmother, but I have no memory of Gorey as an audience member...

Maybe you sat closer to the front row than we did! ;)

Phantom Scribbler said...

I am awestruck!

Mad said...

ENVY. Big green ENVY emanating your way. I love Gorey. Just the thought that people actually got to meet him makes me tingle.

Aurelia said...

Oooooh, what Liz said. Plus I am the biggest Gorey fan ever.