09 August 2007

Hermione and the Big Funnel

I feel a little like Hermione, knitting hats for the house elves. I finished another two little hats - I'm getting better at the circular needles, and at doing regular decreases. Both of these, in true magpie form, incorporate bits of yarn that were wrapped around Christmas presents last year: the hairy yarn in the red hat, and the green stem on the other.

In the aftermath of the release of the final Harry Potter book, there was a piece in the Times about the many Chinese frauds and imitations and spin-offs. I think my absolute favorite was "Harry Potter and the Big Funnel". Nothing so exotic as sorcerer's stones or deathly hallows. Nope, a big funnel. Those crazy Chinese!

PS: That Times link probably won't work, unless you've got Times Select, which the New York Post says is soon to be a thing of the past. Nice that the Post broke that story, not the Times, huh?

14 comments:

Isis said...

Nice hats! And I LOVE the prospect of HP and the Big Funnel!

S said...

The one on the right looks like a gourd. I mean that in the nicest possible way. I must, since I cannot even knit.

Awesome Mom said...

Very cute hats!!!

Anonymous said...

Those are the most precious hats, EVER!!!
BTW, I just learned that they are going to end Times Select... I hope that is true. I don't like behind the wall subscriptions.

Aurelia said...

Death to Times Select!!!!! Although---are they going to wall things off after a few days now? I don't mind paying for access to their database, I just don't want to pay for each individual article. That would be a pain.

Blog Owner said...

I was so impressed by your hats and of course your "hat speak." I've never heard those expressions before. But I can kinda, sorta sew a button! Kinda!

BOSSY said...

hats: So sweet. But do you think you can knit Bossy a cold shower? It's so hot...

S. said...

I was wondering if you were going to knit a big funnel--it wouldn't be hard to adapt a hat pattern.

Yay for circulars!

painted maypole said...

love the hats, and the fact that you have used yarn from other places. That is so like me... I have boxes of that kind of stuff... for some future project, of course.

BipolarLawyerCook said...

I like the look of them both, but esp. the red one. However, the fuzzies look itchy, maybe. What kind of yarn?

pinknest said...

that story was quite hilarious. i loved the funnel title, too! i'd read that one.

niobe said...

Those little hats are just adorable. And while I'm admiring them, I'm trying to imagine what kind of adventure you can have with a big funnel. Or, for that matter, a small one.

Furrow said...

Wowee, wow, wow! Those are amazing!

I'm a crocheter myself. I tried to learn knitting, but I gave it up. There are much better knitting than crochet patterns, for the most part. But, oh well.

flutter said...

Those hats are fab, and the big funnel cracked me right up