11 November 2007

Aftermath

The party was a success. The birthday girl wore her Glinda costume until it was time to run around outside. Adults ate adult food, kids ate peanut butter and jelly. Everyone had cake, even though the frosting was more mauve than pink. [Red food color plus yellow butter equals a peachy color; I tried to compensate with a little blue and ended up with mauve.]

I may have been a little harsh yesterday - there's absolutely a place in the world for juice boxes and pizza. It's just that I think there should be food for the grown-ups too. We're not yet at the drop-off stage of birthday parties, so there are at least as many adults as kids at the parties we attend, and I am tired of hanging out for hours at birthday parties making small talk with no food or drink.

Now that the dust has settled, I've had a chance to render my verdicts on the gifts. Her favorite is one of the scariest things I have ever seen: Ariel's disembodied head, with a comb and a spritz bottle and clips and rollers, so you can style her hair. It is truly appalling, and, of course, it was the hit of the four-year-old set. My favorite? A divine and witty book called Tidying Up Art.

13 comments:

Girlplustwo said...

i am glad it was such a good time. juice boxes and all.

S said...

when i was eight or so, i had a disembodied Barbie head just like that.

fun times.

Suz said...

Ooohh...like Slouching Mom, I had one of those Barbie heads too. I loved it, until I cut off all her hair!

alejna said...

I love Tidying Up Art! I stumbled across it in a museum bookstore a couple years ago. It's brilliant, and it cracks me up.

I'm glad the party worked out well. I loved the favors you had.

Sorry about the disturbing disembodied head. I never had one of those. My mother was quite anti-Barbie.

Julie Pippert said...

LMAO about the head!

The book sounds cool!

Glad it was a good time and personally, I appreciate the hosts who provide for adults, too. I hate snitching leftovers off my kid's plate or going without.

Julie
Using My Words

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I'm so glad that the party was a smash and that there is, in fact, a place in the world for juice boxes and pizza. :)

Be Inspired Always said...

Glad it was such a good time. The book sounds like somehting I might pick up. Thanks for the tip.



Jillian

painted maypole said...

I'm sure the parents appreciated the food and adult drinks.

Julia said...

Ok, I am sorry, but I never understood what the parents who buy the princesses crap to take to someone as a gift are thinking. Unholy, scary, ugly, and did I mention scary? And no, I have not yet forgiven the parents of a preschoool friend for the barbie and two of her rooms that Monkey got for her fourth, why do you ask?

Glad the party was a success. And yes, that is exactly why I always make grown-up food for kid parties too.

pinknest said...

oh god i remember such disembodied heads of the past when i as a kid. it literally gave me nightmares.

Cathy said...

Consider solving the problem of appalling-but-adored toys with a dog. Our first dog Frisco made many a meal of Barbies, with a marked preference for their hands and feet. (He was also partial to my husband's wallet, credit cards, the soft plastic bits on the bridge of his glasses, and the occasional shoe.) Our daughters were too resourceful to be more than temporarily devastated, however: they bandaged the mangled extremities and played hospital.

Janet said...

Sounds like a lovely time. (Those disembodied head scare the crap out of me too!)

Amanda said...

I agree whole heartedly for providing for all your guests. We did the same thing for Briar's third birthday in September. I never had a disembodied head, but my paternal grandmother gave me a sweatshirt with a head embroidered on the front with bangs that swung freely. I loathed it.