14 December 2007

CSA Week 25 - The End


This was the last week of our CSA share - all storage vegetables:

  • Potatoes (6)
  • Red Cabbage (1 head)
  • Carrots (2 bags)
  • Onions (4)
  • Beets (7)
  • Butternut Squash (1)

We now have a lifetime supply of carrots, because we still have carrots from several weeks ago and because we accidentally took two bags (Miss M. dropped one in my tote while W. was picking up another and we didn't realize it until we were home). We also have at least a winter's worth of cabbage - both red and white. Luckily I've found two simple and wonderful recipes for cabbage. The first is red cabbage braised in the oven - there's hardly any preparation beyond chopping and it cooks unattended. The second is white cabbage browned in butter - in this case, it's all about the technique, and it's good in the way that browned brussels sprouts are good.



Braised Red Cabbage (adapted from Riverford)

1 lb red cabbage (about a 1/3 of a head)
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1 apple
1 t. ground allspice
1 T. brown sugar
3 T. red wine vinegar
salt & pepper
2 T. butter
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 300F. Finely shred the cabbage, finely chop the onions and garlic and peel, core and finely chop the apples.
  2. Toss together the onion, garlic, apple, allspice, brown sugar and salt & pepper to taste.
  3. Arrange a layer of cabbage in the base of a large casserole then add a layer of the onions/apple mix. Alternate the layers until all the ingredients are used.
  4. Pour over the wine vinegar, dot with butter, cover the dish with its lid or some foil and bake slowly in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.


Sauteed Cabbage (adapted from Ina Garten)

1 head white cabbage
3 T. butter
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. fresh ground black pepper
  1. Remove the core and cut the cabbage in very thin slices, as if you were making coleslaw.
  2. Melt the butter in a large saute pan over med-high heat. Add the cabbage, salt and pepper and saute for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown. Serve hot.

12 comments:

anne said...

we live so backward down here. our csa just started in november.

The Library Lady said...

I love to roast brussels sprouts with garlic in the oven--yum! And I'd be earmarking that butternut squash for an ovenbaked risotto I make. Squash and rice and thyme and parmesan and I'd better stop because I'm getting HUNGRY!

I liked "Decca", BTW--I'm very much into things by and about the Mitfords!

Anonymous said...

Sauteed cabbage is ridiculously delicious.

andi from Poot and Cubby

Julie Pippert said...

I am so excited! Your recipes are about to be more meaningful to me because I just joined a CSA!!! A friend of mine put me on to a local organic farm and we are all buying in. So excited!

Julie
Using My Words

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Mmm. Butter-frizzled cabbage. I usually buy Savoy.

Jen said...

I LOVE cooked cabbage - great recipes!!

niobe said...

Sauted cabbage is the best. I sometimes add other vegetables or tofu and some kind of spicy seasoning.

Anonymous said...

I had never cooked red cabbage until recently. I had no idea what to do with it and made a mess. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Emily R

Catherine said...

I've been trying to join a CSA for years...but never think to apply at the right time. Thanks for the reminder! Oooh, I LOVE Brussel Sprouts...


catherine

Christine said...

We love cabbage at our house. These are both simple and wonderful recipes. Thank you!

Julia said...

Mmmm.. red cabbage. I think I might try this for my veggie visitors on Tuesday.

Lisa said...

Mmm, that sauteed cabbage sounds wonderful. Isn't it sad, the end of the season? I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do without the farmers' market.