01 April 2008

Peeling Eggs

Every year, the pre-school class at Miss M.'s daycare hatches eggs into chicks. It's a big event: all the little kids from the other classes come to visit the eggs and then the chicks, everyone knows what day they're due to hatch, and after the chicks have been hanging out in the classroom for a while, the kids go on a field trip to return them to the farm from which the eggs came.

Hatch day this year was supposed to be tomorrow. But sometime yesterday, a couple of the eggs developed cracks and bulges. We arrived to pick her up, and found the whiteboard outside the classroom emblazoned with:

Quote of the Day:
"Maura look! The
eggs are starting
to peel!"

Miss M. had been the first to notice.

This morning, there were two bedraggled little chicks, some more eggs with cracks, and a gaggle of little kids hovering over the incubator. All's right with the world, even if it still doesn't feel like spring.

18 comments:

niobe said...

Awwww. How adorable.

kathy a. said...

oh, the cuteness!

the mama bird diaries said...

cute. I want to see pics of the chicks!

Mayberry said...

She's the best.

I didn't know you could predict hatching down to the day.

Anonymous said...

wow, that's cool. I want to do that! Stamps foot.

Victoria said...

Hey - I wanna do that too! Every year I tell Hubby we're going to get the kids eggs/chicks for Easter. I think next year.

So. Sweet.

Life As I Know It said...

Aw, cute!

We are finally starting to see signs of spring here!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Good times.

Aunt Becky said...

I miss hatching baby "cheeps" in school. Maybe I should do it on my own, like the freak that I am.

needleinahaystack said...

Chicks hatch and the market is up.
Hurray

Julia said...

awww... One of my favorite kids books in the Old Country language is the one about two boys who build their own incubator. It's a good story.
Peeling eggs. Nice.

lilypotter said...

So cute. My mom teaches preschool, and one year her class was doing a similar project. My mom asked what they should name the chicks and one of the kids yelled out "Pecker!" Ahh, the innocence of youth.

Aurelia said...

Now if she could just predict when MY egg would peel.

I am too impatient.

NotSoSage said...

That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Eat a lot of boiled eggs in your house, then, do ya?

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

THAT truly is cute. We have to see photos of the fur-babies!

painted maypole said...

oh your observant little girl! :)

Candy said...

Nothing cuter than baby chicks.

My husband, the science teacher, once tried to hatch eggs in his classroom at Easter, but they hadn't hatched before it was time for the Easter school break (back when they had such things!) so he left them in the incubator for the weekend. When he came back, they'd all hatched but their feet were all deformed because, apparently, they have to be turned constantly or their feet don't grow properly. A mother hen would know this. My husband not so much. He had to "dispose" of the chicks before the kids got in. I don't have any more details...and if I did I wouldn't out him.

Janet said...

That quote is a keeper.