15 June 2008

What Would Shakespeare Do?

Isn't the best gift something that you really want for yourself?

A couple of months ago, my sister-in-law sent me the link to an artist - a guy who makes books into bookcases. It completely appealed to my sense of whimsy and I filed it away in the back of my head, waiting for the right moment.

Then, I googled bookcases one day, because we're finally moving towards addressing the lack of bookcases in our house (the carpenter is coming tomorrow!) and I wanted to see some built-ins for inspiration. Lo and behold, I found an article which included all manner of off-beat bookcases, including the artist guy that my sister-in-law had dredged up.

It was a sign.

I promptly ordered a tiny shelf and we gave it to W. for Father's Day. I love it for the quality and wit of the object. W. was an English major and poet once upon a time, so the Shakespeare theme was perfect.


I think we'll hang it in the dining room, and put a little vase on top. Would Shakespeare like that?

15 comments:

flutter said...

That is so cool! Shakes would love it.

S said...

perfect.

Woman in a Window said...

pretty but i think Shakespeare might poop himself over it. That's ok, he'd just have a stage hand rush in and clean up and be ready for the main course!

painted maypole said...

wow, I don't know about shakespeare, but Painted Maypole thinks it ROCKS, and will so be adding that to her list of potential presents for book loving friends! awesome!

Unknown said...

I have seen this before and every time I am inspired to make some of these shelves myself. I once worked in a used bookstore and I have acres of old, pretty and virtually useless books. Perhaps this time I will take action.

Anonymous said...

I like it, although as a librarian, it pains me vto see unreadable books. But at least they've gone to a good home. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's perfect!

the mama bird diaries said...

Awesome gift. :)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Oh my gaw! I'm in love!

niobe said...

I love it.

Mental P Mama said...

Methinks he just might...

Janet said...

I love it in all its quirky splendour.

Anonymous said...

What a really great bookshelf and how you pictured it is even better!

For book lovers, shelves are always a problem.

julochka said...

wandered here from any number of other blogs...love this bookshelf! i'll definitely be back to check out what you've got to say. :-)

Julia said...

Can we have a shot with the vase? Or maybe W's English diploma would fit better on top of that?