08 March 2008

The Lure of the Limerick

I love limericks. We had books of risque limericks floating around the house when I was a kid, I once posted my favorites, and my husband is holding his breath for the day that the rumored-to-be brilliant limericks of T.S. Eliot are finally published (they are allegedly embargoed until his wife has died).

So when I found Niobe making up limericks about bloggers, in response to a challenge at Weebles Wobblog, I was ready. I printed out my bloglines list, and sharpened my pencil for the train trip home.

Aha! Crunchy granola. Five syllables = perfect.

Crunchy granola
is my favorite breakfast
day in and day out.

Um, oops. That's a haiku.

I scratched my head some more.

I'm not one for praying or mass.
I don't like sea bream or bass.
But I'm given to braying
A favorite saying
The apposite "this too shall pass".

However, granola had wormed its way into my head.

I know that she likes Coca-cola
and possibly crunchy granola.
But I never can tell
if blogger FreshHell
knows the difference 'tween shit and shinola.

How about you?

20 comments:

S said...

You're so clever.

I got nothin. But a hangover, LOL!

flutter said...

You are hilarious!

susan said...

fabulous! Nothing but admiration heading your way from here.

Although I shall be limericking in my head for the rest of the day.

MsPrufrock said...

I had no idea his wife was still alive! In my head it seems like he died a century ago, but it was only 1965, and the second wife was apparently 37 years younger than him. I guess it all makes sense after all.

Brief literary history aside, I'm impressed with your limericking. Sadly, I'm not that talented, but I'm pleased to read yours!

Janet said...

Clever!

Girlplustwo said...

you are peachy. always.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

So glad you are a Limerick Chick!

Elan Morgan said...

Ha! Very nice.

Mayberry said...

Nice work! I look forward to seeing these 'round the blogosphere.

Ozma said...

Um, you want us to compete with that? You took shit from shinola! For a limerick about granola! NO FAIR.

But give me another limerick challenge and about a week...? This is such a fab idea, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I am honored! BTW - while I don't drink Coke, I do, indeed, know the difference between shit and shinola.

painted maypole said...

i wrote some, too. this was fun!

MadMad said...

Oh, you're funny!

Melissa said...

I can't do this one. I'll stick to haiku.

Very Mary said...

There once was a gal, Magpie Musing.
She was fun, she was fine, and amusing.
She made funny rhymes
Using swear words sometimes,
And the swear words were all her own choosing.

Anonymous said...

Do me! Do me! Do me!

Um, I like mean, make up a limerick about me. Not what those with minds in the gutter would think, um... yeah... back under my rock now...

Anonymous said...

Great haiku, fabulous limericks....

Julia said...

Nice!

Bea said...

These are brilliant. The only limericks I could think of began with "There once was a blogger named..." - so you can see why I gave this one a pass.

Victoria said...

More limericks, please!! =)